Total Time: 10 minutes
4 slices whole grain bread (I like Ezekiel’s for GF)
2-4 tsp brown spicy mustard
4 slices organic cheese (swiss & cheddar are my go-to’s)
2-3 medium collard green leaves
1 sliced tomato
1/2 sliced cucumber
- Pick a good whole grain bread that will hold the weight of many veggies. Lay out slices.
- Smother bread with mustard, about 1 tsp per slice.
- Add cheese slices and collard green leaves to each slice.
- Stack slices of tomato, avocado, and cucumber as they will fit.
- Bring two slices together to make a complete sandwich.
This has been my go-to lunch for about the last 10 weeks (especially in pregnancy when deli meat is banned!). Even when I’m not pregnant I try to avoid processed meats (did you know processed meats are considered a Type I carcinogen???) See note below from the World Health Organization:
“Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1), based on sufficient evidence in humans that the consumption of processed meat causes colorectal cancer.”1
I guarantee that you’ll love the freshness and crunch this sandwich has over a traditional deli sandwich!
1World Health Organization, (2015). Press Release. Retrieved from https://www.iarc.who.int/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/pr240_E.pdf